Medical Malpractice Lawyer in Brevard Florida
There are more than 300 hospitals located in the state of Florida alone and thousands of citizens that visit these differernt locations. While the incidents of medical malpractice are on the rise throughout the state of Florida at these hospitals, the number of actual cases that are being prosecuted has proportionally decreased due to the legislatuive road blocks that have been put into place. This all adds up to savings for the insurance comapnies and less justice to the citizens of florida and in particular, those who have been injured or lost their lives due to medical malpractice. Medical malpractice claims against physicians and hospitals can involve negligence that results from issues involving the failure to diagnose, medical tools left behind after a surgery, failure to treat properly, botched surgery, overdosage of medications, prescribing the wrong medications, complications during birth, over staffing, failure to label patients as fall risks, failure to warn, failure to act, and a vast number of others forms of negligent acts that are made by physicians and nurses as well as other employees at health care facilities throughout the state of FLorida.
The law offices of James B Coulter represents individuals throughout the state of florida who are the victims of medical malpractice in counties suchs as Brevard County, Indian River County, Orange County, Volusia County, Osceola County, Seminole County, Duval County, Polk County, Miami Dade County, Putnam County, and elsewhere throughout Florida in Florida.
With now over 70,000 hospitals beds in the 303 hospitals throughout the state of Florida, the opportunity for physicians to make a serious mistake has unfortunately increased in recent years. Medical malpractice claims can be complex and stressful for those injured. Finding the best medical malpractice lawyer in the state of Fllorida to sort through the complicated issues to help you properly assert your claim can help to alleviate some stress during this time. Back to top
Attorney for Medical Malpractice in Brevard County Florida
The Law Offices of James B. Coulter, offers free consultations to those that have been unjured due to medical malpractice in the state of Florida. Mr. Coulter is happy to discuss your potential claim with you on the phone or in person. He is is an experienced personal injury attorney who can explain Florida’s complex medical malpractice laws and apply them to your situation. James B. Coulter represents individuals who have been injured due to medical malpractice and nursing home neglect located in the cities within Brevard County florida such as Melbourne, Cocoa, Titusville, Cape Canaveral, Rockledge, Indialantic, Palm Bay, Cocoa Beach, Melbourne Beach, and West Melbourne.
Mr. Coulter also handles a larege number of cases in the counties surrounding Brevard County including Indian River County, Osceola County, Volusia County and Orange County, and other areas thorughout the state of Florida. Call The Law Offices of James B. Coulter at (321) 586-9944, or go online and fill out the intake form to schedule your free consultation today. Back to top
Medical Malpractice By The Numbers In Florida
Research has indicated the following following numbers in regards to medical malpractice cases in the state of Florida:
- Hundred of Florida doctors have paid out multiple malpractice claims in Florida and are still allowed to practice thereby putting patients at risk, 15 years after voters passed a law that was supposed to take away their licenses.
- Error in diagnosis is currently the most common type of allegation involving medicla malpractice in Florida. In 2019 error in diagnosis represented over 30 percent of all paid claims.
- There are over 125 doctors in the state of Florida who have accumulated three or more malpractice claims over the past decade and the state records indicate that only two doctors have had there locenses revoked under the stree strike rule.
- One doctor has paid out 16 malpractice claims since 200 including 6 involving death and is still practicing medicine in the state of Florida.
- A South Florida Sun Sentainel investigation found that Florida's Department of Health has reviewed nearly 24,000 state and federal lawsuits involving doctors over the past decade but has filed disiplinary charges just 128 times.
- Medical Malpractice related deaths have steadily risen over the past five years. Medical Mappractice is now the 3rd the leading casue of death in the United States.Over 250,000 people died in 2019 from surgical errors in the United States
- The largest medical maplractice payout was awarded to a man in Florida for the misdiagnosis of stroke symptoms. He was paid 216.7 million dollars.
- Fewer medical malpractce cases are being asserted relative to the physician population representing as steady downward trend to the amount of prosecutions actually brought to court. From 2007 to 2016, 70 percent of all case brought against physicians were closed without payment being made the the injured party.
- Across the nation, two thirds of doctors who were sanctioned by their employer or paid a settlement as a result of sexual misconduct claims never faced medical board disipline.
- 75 percent of all medical liability claims are closed without a payment to the injured party (AMA 2006) Accirding to Cornell University Law School the reason for this is the difficulty and cost associated with litigating against doctors.
- Over the past decade, Florida doctors have piad out over 460 million for malpractice claims which have involverd nearly 1,400.00 patient deaths over that time period.
- Between the years of 2010 and 2014, a total of 8,812 medical malpractice payments were made to patients in Florida
- In 2019 Florida ranked as the number 6 state in the United States with regard to the number of lawsuits that were filed for medical malpractice, Kentucky was number 1.
- 700 women die every year during child birth and over 50,000 women are injured, and even though pregnancy and childbirth is the number 2 reason for hospitilization in the United States, the federal government allows hospitals to keep childbirth complications rates private from public disclosure.
- In 2014 alone, in the state of Florida 692 medical malpractice payments were paid out to patients,out of these 692 medical malpractice payments, 29.05% (201) fell in the range of $250,000-$499,000;
- Each year between 210,000 and 440,000 individuals suffer wrongful deaths due to poor hospital care;
- Medical mistakes make up for a third of America’s leading causes of death following heart failure and cancer.
- A Medscape Malpractife Report published in 2017 indicated that 13% of the 4000 doctors surveryed admitted to having been sued for malpractice while 48% oif this sample of doctors indicated that they were named as co-defendants in medical malpractice cases
- As of January 2020 the population in state of Florida is now over 21 million and ovber 83,000 doctors practicing medicine in the state of Florida
- The average malpractice cost per capital in 2017 was $11.97
- in 2018 over 400 formal complaints were files against MDs in the state of Florida
- In 2018, 41 doctors in Florida lost their license to practice medicine to do disiplinary reasons
- The average malpractice insurance premiums for doctors practicing internal medicine, general suregery and obstetrics/gynecology (considered "high-risk specialties", increased by 48.2 percent betwenn 1991 and 2002 in states that had caps on medical malpractice damages such as the state of Florida. On the other hand medical malpractice insurance premiums inceased on 35.9% in states without caps on damages. Hence, the caps on damages has statistically done nothing to stabilize or reduce doctors insurance rates. The only thing that caps on damages did was limit verdicts that lawyers could obtain for their wrongfully injured clients while at the same time providing more profits to the insurance companies.
Back to top
Additional Resources on Medical Malpractice in Florida
Thousands of Medical Mistake Related Deaths- Visit Pro Publica’s site for journalism in the public interest for more information on annual statistics on medical malpractice and medical mistakes in the U.S. This site gives information on the previously inaccurate reported number of yearly deaths due to medical mistakes and provides the correct statistics for these incidents.
Medical Malpractice Payments from 2004-2014- Search through the National Practitioner Data Bank for more information on medical malpractice claims in Florida. Additionally, you can find information on the amount of malpractice payments by year and by number.
Back to top
Find a Top Rated Lawyer for Medical Malpractice Claims in the Melbourne Florida Area
At The Law Offices of James B. Coulter, James Coulter is dedicated to fighting on behalf of those individuals and for the loved ones of those individuals injured due to medical malpractice in Brevard County, Satellite Beach and neighbouring areas. James Coulter’s commitment for recovering damages for deserving clients will help to ease your mind at this stressful time.
Call The Law Offices of James B. Coulter at (321) 586-9944 for a free consultation with a personal injury attorney today.
This article was last updated on Wednesday, October 12, 2016.